Despite a meltdown in the Bronx yesterday, the Orioles remain alive in the Wild Card race. The Red Sox have already clinched the AL East, so the best Baltimore can do is host the AL Wild Card game against either the Toronto Blue Jays or the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday, Oct. 4.
Here are all the possibilities for the Orioles:
- The Orioles will qualify for the postseason with a win or a Tigers loss in one of the last two games.
- The Orioles will host the Wild Card game with a win and a Blue Jays loss. It’s possible for the Orioles to face the Blue Jays or the Tigers at Camden Yards. This all depends on whether a tiebreaker is needed to determine which team grabs the second Wild Card spot.
- The Orioles will play the Wild Card game in Toronto with a win and a Blue Jays win or a loss and a Tigers loss.
- The Orioles will be forced into a tiebreaker with the Tigers with a loss and a Blue Jays win along with two Tigers wins (Detroit will still have to make up a game against Cleveland if necessary).
- The Orioles could potentially play a three-way tiebreaker with the Blue Jays and Tigers with a loss, a Blue Jays loss, and two Tigers wins.
No matter what happens, today won’t be the end of Baltimore’s season. It’s either playoffs or tiebreaker for the Orioles at this point. Baltimore is in control of their own destiny.